Short Hill is a location in Loudoun County that’s rich with natural resources and historical significance, including multiple interactions with George Washington. On its one side is the Potomac River and it’s unparalleled value as a shipping and transportation channel. On the other side is some of the most fertile soil in the region, and a source of farming for centuries.
Short Hill Breakfast Sausage Mounds are basically meatballs for your breakfast plate, which may sound like a lot to stomach. However, according to new research published in the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, eating a big breakfast rather than a large dinner may prevent obesity and high blood sugar.
Eat a big breakfast, and your body has a better chance of reducing the increases in blood sugar and insulin that would come with eating a big dinner. The study also showed that eating a low-calorie breakfast increased appetite, specifically for sweets.
While dietary decisions should be made by you and your doctor, starting the day with a balanced, locally sourced breakfast could be the best way to seize the #LoudounPossible day!
Course: Appetizer or side dish
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 lbs pork or lamb sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pounds of shredded hard cheese
- Spice to your liking
- Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly blended. It is best to use your hands or an electric mixer.
- Form into about 4 dozen 1 to 1.5 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet or broiler pan.
- Bake at 375°F for about 25 minutes.
- Eat fresh or cool for later!