Planning to join us this Saturday for “Polo in the Park: Loudoun Made, Loudoun Grown Night” at Morven Park? It’s the Game of Kings, the fastest game on four feet, and the perfect way to spend an evening in Loudoun County, Va.
Spectators are also encouraged to bring a picnic inspired by all that Loudoun farms have to offer. With more than 150 Loudoun Made, Loudoun Grown program participants, there’s no need to compromise on menu options.
Imagine the satisfying crunch that comes with every crisp vegetable, picked in the field that morning, or the flavor of responsibly raised meats. It’s the start of the major harvest in Loudoun, and there’s no better reason to enjoy the season.
Here’s what to look for at your favorite Loudoun farmers market or wayside stand as you prepare for Saturday evening’s polo matches:
Charcuterie Spreads: meals of high-quality meat and cheese date back to ancient times—just like polo!
- Georges Mill Farm Artisan Cheese, found at the Georges Mill Farm Store any time;
- Long Stone Farm, found at the Long Stone Farm Store any time;
- Blue Ridge Dairy Co., found at the Leesburg and Cascades farmers markets on Saturdays.
Produce Medleys: cucumbers, green beans, green peppers, squash, sweet corn, tomatoes, watermelons, apples, berries, cantaloupe and grapes are all ripening in Loudoun.
- Potomac Vegetable Farms, found at the farm stand and Leesburg Farmers Market on Saturdays;
- Lydia’s Fields at Wheatland, found at Loudoun Station on Sundays;
- A Farm Less Ordinary, found at Bluemont on Saturdays and Leesburg farmers markets on Wednesdays.
Straight off the Grill: pick up responsibly raised meat and hit the grill before picnicking at polo (grills not permitted at the event).
- Breezy Meadow Farms, found online and at the Leesburg Farmers Market on Saturdays;
- Milcreek Farm, found at the Leesburg and Cascades farmers markets on Saturdays.
Farm to Table: don’t feel like cooking? Don’t worry! These restaurants have sourced locally for your culinary pleasure.
- Market Burger and Fries, found in Purcellville, Tuesday-Sunday, 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Roots 657, found in Lucketts, Tuesday-Sunday, 10:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Fire Works Pizza, found in Leesburg and Cascades, 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Adult Beverages: Loudoun is home to dozens of craft beverage makers, but these can be found at the local farmers markets.
- October One Vineyard, found at the Leesburg and Cascades farmers markets on Saturdays;
- Wild Hare Hard Cider, found at the One Loudoun Farmers Market on Saturdays;
- Stone Tower Winery, the official wine sponsor of Polo in the Park, sold by the glass and bottle on site.
Delectable Desserts: Loudoun’s close proximity to fruit farms and consumers makes it the perfect place to find top-notch desserts from local artisan bakers.
- The Baekehaus, found at the Leesburg Farmers Market on Saturdays;
- Little Austria, found at the One Loudoun Farmers Market on Saturdays.
Whether you choose to pack a picnic or carry out, make the choice to support Loudoun farmers this weekend. Sunday marks the kickoff of National Farmers Market Week, and we’ll be celebrating with Loudoun farmers and rural business owners.
Do you have any favorite recipes using local products? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll spotlight them in a future post.